How to get licensed as a Contractor in WA State
Call our office for questions or assistance at 877-757-3858
- Choose your business structure
If you are going to operate as a Sole-Proprietor or General Partnership, skip to step #3. If you are going to operate as a Corporation, Limited Partnership (LP), Limited Liability Partnership (LLP) or a Limited Liability Company (LLC) continue to step #2.
- Register with WA Secretary of State or you can call 360-725-0377. Cost: Approximately $180. You can pay an additional fee for expedited service.
- Complete a Business License Application online to get your Uniform Business Identifier number (UBI#)
... or you can go into a Department of Revenue, Employment Security, or WA State Dept of Labor & Industries office to pick up the form and get your business license. Cost: $15 – $20.
- Get your IRS Employer ID# if you plan to employ workers.
Call the IRS at 800-829-4933 to get an Employer Identification Number (EIN). (Free.)
- Fill out the Application for Contractor Registration and have it notarized.
Your local L&I office can notarize it for you.
- Purchase a bond and liability insurance from TOP Insurance Associates by calling 877-757-3858 or click here to submit an application. In most cases coverage can be approved and started the same day.
- $12,000 for a general contractor.
- $6,000 for a specialty contractor (one trade only).
- $50,000 property damage policy and $200,000 public liability policy,
- $250,000 combined single limit policy.
NOTE: Originals of your bond and insurance will be required to complete your registration.
- Prepare to pay the registration fee
Go to Contractor Registration Fees page for the correct amount.
- Submit your application and required documents to L&I
The easiest and quickest way to complete this process is to:
*** Walk in to your local L&I office and get licensed same day!
Be sure to bring:
The local customer service representative will make sure all information is complete and answer any questions you may have. You will receive your temporary registration number (your receipt) at that time if all your paperwork is in order.
By Mail (May take 2-4 weeks)
Be sure to mail all of the following:
- Your completed and notarized Application for Contractor Registration (74 KB PDF).
- Evidence of your surety bond from TOP Insurance Associates.
- Evidence of your general liability insurance coverage from TOP Insurance Associates.
- A check or money order in the amount of $113.40 payable to the Department of Labor & Industries.
Mail all originals to:
Department of Labor & Industries
Contractor Registration Section
P.O. Box 44450
Olympia, Wash. 98504-4450
Note: Be sure to make copies of all the above for yourself.
After evaluating your application information, L&I will do one of the following:
- If approved, mail your registration within 2 – 4 weeks.
- If rejected, contact you about missing documentation within 2 – 4 weeks.
NOTE: If you do not receive a response within 2 – 4 weeks, please call 1-800-647-0982.